Research update: Lynne Cahill

This is the last in a start-of-the-academic-year series of research news from your lecturers. If you’ve wondered what we get up to when we’re not with you, this is it… 

Lynne Cahill


The academic year 2017-18 kicked off for me with two trips to present at conferences. The first, to the Workshop of Written Language and Literacy in Nagoya, Japan, was mentioned in the last round up of our research, presenting work with Stefania Perring (York) on medieval charters. As an executive board member (and now Vice President) of the Association of Written Language and Literacy it was particularly pleasing to see the first meeting of the association outside Europe attract a large and diverse audience.

In September I gave an invited talk entitled “The Role of Morphology in Writing Systems Research” at the 25th Anniversary meeting of the Surrey Morphology Group (SMG). This brought together my past and present interests. I have worked with the SMG since their inception 25 years ago, having started out as a morphologist. My recent research in orthography emerged out of an interest in the interactions between phonology, orthography and morphology and in this talk I described the different ways in which morphology was directly relevant to research on all types of writing systems.

My work on medieval charters continued and I presented the work at the ISLE (International Society for the Linguistics of English) conference in London in July. I have also begun looking at a different set of medieval legal documents which include very early examples of written versions of regional vernacular English. The York Cause Papers date from 13th century onwards and, although mostly in Latin, have witness statements that include reported speech in English. Stefania Perring is once again working with me to transcribe those documents. 

My other main activity has been my textbook Discovering Phonetics and Phonology, which is due to be published in February. It is the textbook for the Approaches to Pronunciation first-year module. You can pre-order a copy here! 

Comments