Junior Research Associates: A guest post by Joe Thompson-Smith

The Sussex Junior Research Associate scheme is a brilliant opportunity to learn about doing independent research. In 2020-2021, two second-year linguistics undergraduates, Harriet Nye and Joe Thompson-Smith, won funding to work on their own projects for 8 weeks over the summer. 

In this post, our guest blogger is Joe Thompson-Smith who reflects on the experience and shares his timely research findings on media representation of the NHS and its workers before and during the covid-19 crisis. Thanks for contributing Joe!

-----------------------

Learning about the Junior Research Associate (JRA) scheme at the start of second year, I knew I wanted to complete a research project. The idea of completing a dissertation has always seemed daunting to me and I thought the scheme would be the perfect way to enhance my academic skills before starting my final year.

Completing a rewarding introductory module in discourse analysis in second year, I was keen to create a project related to the discipline. However, it was only during lockdown and noting the clapping, reference in the media to frontline workers and seeing the Thank You NHS signs that my project began to take shape. With Dr Charlotte Taylor as my supervisor, I put together my first research proposal. I proposed to empirically investigate the British media representation of the NHS and its staff in April 2020 and compare this to the representation in November 2019, before the arrival of coronavirus. With the help of Charlotte, I adapted my protect to be corpus-assisted. I decided to use methods from Critical Discourse Analysis (CDA) and apply this to two corpora, made up of newspaper articles from April and November that I retrieved from online resource LexisNexis.

Much to my surprise, my application was accepted and before I knew it, I was starting work on my project! At first, it felt intimidating. A great deal of self-discipline is involved: there are no set readings or essays to complete. I had total ownership over the project - it was up to me to complete the work and find appropriate readings and resources to compliment my research.

I also had to set deadlines for myself to send reports to Charlotte, who would give me feedback and advice accordingly. I was also supported by a mentor, Linguistics PHD student Eddie Brown, who had previously completed a JRA and gave me advice based on her experiences. Likewise, the JRA team supported learning through workshops and sessions to help with academic development, writing and for creating an academic A1 poster.

It was a real learning curve, as well as developing self-discipline and taking total responsibility, I also had to learn to use software for corpus analysis, and even learned a bit about statistics to fully understand how the software functioned. Often as English students, we group ourselves as not being good at maths or science but going in with an open-mind I learned a lot and definitely understand more about statistics (in a corpus linguistics setting) than before. Patience is also important: at times it was tiring going through long concordance lines, but it was always rewarding once I had completed a report and discovered a new finding.

The biggest take-away for me was the importance of fine-tuned research. I remember thinking 8 weeks was a long time, and subsequently proposing quite a broad, exploratory project. I found out some interesting things but really only scratched the surface of my datasets! This is a really important lesson that I will be applying for my dissertation and any potential future projects: don’t be afraid to focus on the minutiae. 

Crucially, I feel a lot more prepared and now have the skill set to begin a corpus-assisted and discourse-related dissertation. For any second years considering applying or interested in pursuing postgraduate studies, I would say go for it! The experience and opportunity are brilliant, and it is also a great way to earn some money over the summer.

If you would like to learn more about my project and my findings, my presentation is below.




Joe Thompson-Smith

-----------------------

If you would like to read more about JRA experiences, head over to Sarah Fitzgerald's guest post written in 2015 and Eddie Brown's guest post from 2018. Since then, they have both gone on to the PhD Linguistics here at Sussex.


Comments